Re: OT: UK Internet based computer shops

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Frary" <chad.frary@xxxxxxx>

> Sorry if this is off topic,

Hmm, it's worth rolling out every now and then, if only to warn people away
>from

> My current list follows :-
>
> Scan

Don't touch with a forty foot stick. If you have a good component, all is
well. if you have a faulty component, especially the ones (such as CPU)
that
can be damaged by customers, forget it. Scam have supplied me with roughly
£250 worth of faulty equipment in the last 18 months. Customer Service is
an
absolute joke.

I don't use them any more.

> Ebuyer

Have systematically shipped faulty memory and hard drives. In my
experience,
they also sell refurbished drives as new. (We have had a supposedly new HDD
arrive from ebuyer with customer's data on it.) Customer Service is really
down to who you get. some guys are great, some delight in being twisted.

We use them for monitors, nothing else.

> Aria

Ship crappy kit : Customer Service is basically okay, but refund is never
an option. We had two barebone systems from them, with incredibly poor
results.

again, we don't use them.

> Dabs

What a shower of Ba*tards. customer service is a joke, faulty components
are
par for the course.

> Komplett

Good guys, excellent customer services. We use them for components and so
far have no faulty parts from them.

> Skytronik

dunno..

> Simply

Similar to Scam. if you get good stuff, you are home free. if you get dodgy
components, then prepare for a struggle. That being said, simply do seem to
have decent customer support staff..

as always, your mileage will vary. Personally, I would use an over the
counter supplier 99.9% of the time now: the risks of dealing with the
Internet cowboys are simply too great compared to the cash savings.

Ian.