Re: DIY Rack cases Was: RE: How deep is your love ?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: DIY Rack cases Was: RE: How deep is your love ?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:45:19 +0100

Don't forget though, that cheap as these Maplin rack cases are, they are
not
designed for a PC, and therefore don't have:

Cutouts on the rear for the I/O connectors
A PSU, or mounting hardware for a PSU
Mounting frames for 3.5 or 5.25" drives
Cutouts on the front for 3.5 or 5.25 drives
Front mounted power or reset switches
Front mounted power or drive LED's
Slot cutouts on the rear for PCI card backplates
Mounting positions on the rear for PCI card backplates
Fans
Exhaust ports for fans in the front/back or sides
etc... etc....

Sure, you probably could get a complete PC in one of these, but you'd
either
have to dispense with a lot of the above, or you'll have a heck of a lot of
extra work to do to make it all fit and work, which to my mind is just way
too much hassle. I guess if you only need a barebones PC with virtually no
external access,  a highly integrated motherboard (needing no extra cards),
then you could probably do it without too much of the above... A
firewall-in-a-box type PC might be easy enough for this kind of fitting
perhaps?...

Personally though, I think I'll get myself a couple of "proper"
PC rackmount
cases and save myself all those cut fingers... ;-)

Paul G.