Re: [big time OT] Anyone been to Portugal?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [big time OT] Anyone been to Portugal?
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:34:49 +0100

Well, I've only ever been to Lisbon, (but been a couple of times), and
that's certainly a not bad place to go...

You must check out the Alfama district (spelling?) if you like a maze of
twisty little passages, all different. - there is a sort of village square
in the middle of it which has some orange trees growing there, and the
locals are prone to playing footie in the square with the oranges... There
is also a very vibrant nightlife area by the docks. In the town centre
there
is a thing called the "Elevador" or something like it (I was, I
have to
admit, quite drunk for most of the time I was there, so my recollections of
names are all a bit hazy!), - anyway this is a metal tower with a lift up
the middle that was built by an apprentice of Eiffel and which has a bar at
the top. - I spent a very pleasant long hot sunny afternoon sitting at the
top of it getting quietly drunk....

There is also a castle on top of the hill if you like that sort of thing,
but it's quite a walk to get to it I can tell you!

Paul G.