RE: Humming amps :(

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Humming amps :(
  • From: "Tony Butler" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:43:50 +0100

> Hi Tony,
>
> It sounds as if the PSU smoothing capacitors have dried up
> with threee years of cooking.

DOH! And one of my projects this w/e was to add a couple of little fans
to cool the cupboard :(

> Is the hum still present if the ONLY thing physically
> connected to the amp is the speaker?

Yes.

> If its OK with only the speakers connected but hums as soon
> as an input is connected then somehow you have created a ground loop.

Don't see how - I haven't touched that side of things in ages...
I swapped the amp with the good one and it was still the same, so it's
deffo the amp.

Strange that this should happen after one definite on with no input (and
hence probably volume up v.v.high) and another suspected such
incident....

Now.....how do I fix it? :/

T.