RE: Test my MV1000

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Test my MV1000
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:32:42 +0100

Keith,

That's exactly right. With a fixed IP address, I can register a domain
that points to my IP address. I'd have to find a pair of DNS servers to
hold the records because the domain registration refers to primary and
backup DNS servers, not the target IP address itself.

Instead, I can set up a subdomain on my hosted web site and have it
redirect to my static IP address.

For example, I've just set up http://video.wormpurple.com/ which
(if it
works) redirects to http://wormpurple.myip.org/.

Once I have a static IP address, I'll change the redirection to point to
it. However, that only works for http traffic, so anything else will
either require some more imagination on my part of I'll use the IP
address. I don't intend to host any publicly accessible servers at home,
so it's no great problem for me.

Cheers,
Steve