From: "Adam Stevens" <adam@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] "Pelham Sloane Introduces Breakthrough in Space
Efficient Desktop Computing"

> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/mobile_wireless.htm
>
> Anyone tried the Viewsonic Airpanel ?

I've been following Mira (or Smart Devices as they're now called), for
several years, thinking that they would be an ideal solution for my
needs, however, I think I've going to wait a little longer, the reasons
being:

1) They're still pretty pricy for what they are.  I think the 15"
version is about £1000, and the 10" version (which only does 800 x 600
anyway), is around £800.  At the end of the day, they're just CE
devices, in fact, they're less than that as all they run is terminal
services client.

2) Biggest problem for me, is that you can't have two people logged into
an XP Pro machine at the same time.  This means that if someone is using
the PC locally, and you switch on your airpanel, then the local user
will get logged out.  I think this problem is going to be solved in
future versions of XP (maybe in a SP).  W2k Server certainly allows a
local session and one (or more) terminal server sessions, but I don't
know if Smartdevices are compatible with 2k Server (I expect not).

3) Personally, I'm going to wait for the UK version of Media Centre, and
the "login problem" to be solved.  I reckon that would be an
ideal
solution.  One PC in the sitting room, using the TV as the
"master"
display, and the airpanel as a TS session on the same machine.  Once it
can do that (which can't be too long down the line I'm sure), then I'll
be the first in the queue! :-)

HTH,
A.

** UKHA2004 BE THERE! ** - start planning now.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx