RE: Re: In-ceiling amplifiers

Hi Richard

> So basically it's a 4 source 3 zone controller/amp. A bit=20
> like the 4x4 ones from xantech, niles, et al. except without=20
> the =A31200 odd price tag?

Yep !

> I still am wondering about an 'in-ceiling' type thing that=20
> could help out all these people who are putting Slimp3s=20
> around their houses (in ceiling
> meaning: placed next to a ceiling speaker so that for=20
> maintenance you would remove the speaker, and feel into the=20
> void for the amp). The main point to then solve would  be how=20
> to neatly get some power and signal from 'inside' the room=20
> where the Slimp3 player is, to the ceiling void. My only half=20
> sensible idea so far is to use CAT5 cable so either RJ45=20
> connection plates and an external 'box' for signal and power=20
> input at the back of the slimp3, ....or.... a single gang=20
> electrical plate thing with DC-in socket in from an external=20
> PSU,  and a couple of phonos for audio input.
>=20
Since I am building a new house (eventually - but that is another story
!!) I had to make a decision about node 0 amplifiers running speaker
wires to the rooms or decentralised as you and many others are
discussing.  For the following reasons I went with node 0 approach:
1) I wanted other sources to be fed to the amplifier (without having to
stream those sources - delays, CPU horsepower etc), for example a
general house PA source. Running line level is not really feasible and
KAT5's added more expense plus another power supply (and a switcher at
node 0 is still required).
2) Amplifier power is an annoying issue - using cat5 ain't going to work
because of the high currents involved in feeding the amplifiers.
3) In two story houses no ceiling loft so would have to be in the wall -
heat and access for repair are issues (also maybe potential fire hazzard
- especially if home built ampifiers :-)  As you say, removing speaker
to get to it is the most sensible way to go I think.
4) I can use the same source (MP3 player) as an input to another
amplifier for another room.  Avoids "sync" problems in  open
areas and
cuts down number of players.

Downsides are (well the obvious and main ones) are:
1) User interface HAS to be via a different system (IR or Web?).  Also
probably want easy volume control access eg. control on the wall
2) Loss in speaker cables=20
3) Now have a centralised heat problem :-)

>=20
> Sorry for all the 'market research'.
No problem by me.=20