Re: Extending rs232 over cat5

I don't know if there is a standard, but I always wire RS232 over CAT5
following the TIA 586-B colour codes. My entire network is wired the same
so it
just makes things easier to remember.

Pin 1 = w/orange
Pin 2 = orange
Pin 3 = w/green
Pin 4 = blue
Pin 5 = w/blue
Pin 6 = green
Pin 7 = w/brown
Pin 8 = brown
Pin 9 = n/c

IIRC Pin 9 is "wake on ring", so you can do without it in most
cases.

Take a look at these RJ45 to D type adaptors http://tinyurl.com/g7z8
These make life much easier and aren't that expensive either.

Justin.