Re: Stuffed by a lighting circuit

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Stuffed by a lighting circuit
  • From: "Chris Malme" <ChrisM@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 12:25:07 -0000

Thanks for all the comments so far. Although no single answer fitted
the bill, together I think you have helped me figure out a solution.

I actually have two of these circuits to do. One, as I described, in
the lounge, and the other a upstairs/downstairs two-way arrangement
in the hall (plus control of an exterior light plugged into an
applicance module). Both were stuffed by the fact the ceiling roses
have no direct live feed, and the switches have no neutral feed.

However, my upstairs light switch is in a stud wall, behind which is
my airing cupboard. It would be simple to drill through from the
lightswitch into the cupboard. I can run a cable from it along the
wall inside the cupboard down under the floorboards, and from there
to the lounge light. This will kill too birds with one stone:

1) I can feed the lounge light directly with a live feed from the
hall switch's feed (i.e. from the lighting circuit). Which means the
lounge rose is live all the time - but controlled via a LM15 (with a
manual switch in the pendant lamp as well for safety), which means I
can use the single wire between switch and rose to bring neutral down
to the lounge switch, to run the module.

2) I can bring a neutral feed back from the same lounge light to the
upstairs hall switch, and then down to the downstair switch, via the
now-unused three-core between the switches. Which means the hall
module also has a live and neutral feed, and the existing wiring can
continue to feed live to the hall light.

All my lighting is on one circuit, upstairs and down, so there are no
balance problems as mentioned by Kevin.

Best of all, it will not need any redecoration in the lounge or hall.
It will mean taking the floorboards up in my front bedroom, but that
is due to be cleared and redecorated within the next 6 months anyway,
so I can do the job then.

Thanks again.

Chris