RE: Twin and Earth Cable Sizes

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Twin and Earth Cable Sizes
  • From: "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:40:44 +0100

>SWA

Steel Wire Armoured

>This might be the realy dumb question - but earth to what? back to the
other
>distribution board? there is only a live and neutral off the metre...

Dependent on the age of the house you probably have what is called PME or
TNC-S or combined neutral and earth, but you will have an earth. If your
house is older you may have a TT supply which is overhead L&N with the
earth
being provided by a seperate stake.

Which ever system you have - you will definately have an earth !! (i hope)

>I guess this will most definatly involve pulling the master house fuse
(or
>whatever its technical name it :)

Nooo dont do that - if you break the boards seal, they'll have their
revenue
investigation unit round - you must get them to do that first !! - unless
its an old paper seal then its probably just disintegrated :)

Also if you do this remember to provide the same level of protection
afforded by the first board, if you are a TT supply you will have RCD
protection, if you split the tails via a service block you will remove that
protection to the second board.

Oh - and i'm an electrician too, though i must admit i dont get my hand
dirty anymore :)

Dean.