Newbie : First steps in light automation planning ... :)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Newbie : First steps in light automation planning ... :)
  • From: "Duncan_Frazer" <duncan_frazer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:36:57 -0000

Hi all,

Hopefully we'll move into our new house in the next couple of months
so I've got my home improvement hat on.  Its not a new build but a
20yr old house with brick internal walls etc, I've wanted to get
some automated lighting running in our present house but haven't had
the budget to play with ... now that we've got a renovation budget
tho ... ! :)

I've always assumed that I'd use X10, I know little about C-Bus
other than its not a mains cabled communication system and that it
doesn't really seem to fit into a piece by piece install (need to
install 1 multi-way dimmer\controller somewhere, run cables to
lights, run cables to switches) ... X10 means I can use the cabling
thats already there and install modules as I go as well as easily
interfacing something like a pronto 950 with RF to the system.

So, some advice please ... I don't like the big light switch
replacement, its ugly and not practical especially in 2-way circuits
(hallway, stairwell, etc), I like the ideal of using an LD11 dimmer
in an enclosure mounted under the floorboard just above the light
rose and using the existing wiring to wire in 1 clipsal style
momentary button per module.  I can go about the upgrade piece at a
time in this way ... no running cables back to a single box housing
all the LD11s for the house etc - more expensive in enclosures I'm
sure but easier to manage.  How can I add "slave" momentary
switches
to control the dimmer for exisiting 2 way circuits??  Would I be
best parralleling up the clipsal button into the LD11's input or is
there some other smarter way (using macro's and a CM12 is fine).
I've thought about the wall mounted RF light switch but would like
to see if theres a way of preserving the clipsal momentary interface
using un-hacked existing kit?

Sorry - I'm known for my long winded questions ! :)

Thanks,
Duncan.