Re: DIN Rail connections

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark Taylor" <mhctaylor@y...>
wrote:
> What I dont really understand is how the DIN Rail and consumer
> unit relate. Can someone shed some light please, is it a case of Din
> Rails plugging straight into consumer units or do I go for one of=20
these
> din rail units specially sold to take LD11s and AD10s etc. If so how
> does that connect back.......

Mark

The DIN rail is essentially just a standard for a metal fixing rail=20
upon which compatible units can be clipped.  I believe that apart=20
>from
electrically speaking. Consumer units in the uk use the DIN rail=20
system and you then clip in the RCD/MCB onto this and wire them up=20
>from
have nice facia plates to hide the wiring from fingers etc.

You could use consumer units but when I looked at it they worked out=20
expensive because you could only fit a few LD11's in each and ended=20
with a lot of wasted space.  Instead, my electrician sourced some,=20
DIN compatible, grey plastic boxes (450x300x130 deep) and then he=20
mounted 3 strips of din rails in them and managed to fit in 12 LD11's=20
in each (can do more AD11s as they are smaller).  This is with plenty=20
of separation between them (15mm at the side minimum and 60mm plus=20
vertically) and enough roon to work with all the wiring inside.  We=20
have 2 of these sitting in a small coat cupboard in the hallway).  My=20
problem was partly space and I think we worked out that we would have=20
needed 6 or 8 consumer unit boxes.

I vaguely remember the boxes worked out around =A335 each with bits.=20=20

Never had any problems with interference etc as a result of this=20
setup.

Wiring back to the consumer unit is via a regular (appropriate) cable=20
to the RCD/MCB fusing unit.  One feed from the consumer unit feeds=20
several X10 units (i.e. you don't need one cable for each - expensive=20
in installation and CU fusing terms). I guess you just have to ensure=20
you do not exceed the allowable amperage on each feeder line.=20

Hope this helps

Richard