Re: [OT] Website styling

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] Website styling
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:27:20 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, steve.cooper@u... wrote:

> Ok frames can be good or bad but to wrench this OT thread back to
the
> original point.
>
> Do people prefer php content management type sites or ones that
have fixed
> content layouts?
>
> S.

Personally I find some of these PHP Nuke type sites to be a bit of
overkill. I'm not sure that everyone's personal site needs opinion
polls and user registration and news feeds etc etc. It just means
that every site starts looking very similar and that the original
content in each site becomes harder to spot.

I am a massive fan of content management in itself, I use ASP and
SQL Server in exactly the same way that these sites use PHP and
MySQL, but they do have a tendancy to put lots of sections on the
front page and I think it clutters it up a bit.

Personally I prefer a simpler layout, with a lot more white space
(or whatever your background of choice is) on the front page and
more emphasis on headlines and links rather than text when you first
view the site.

It is an emotive subject and others probably feel the complete
oposite, liking the fact that they can get a taster of everything
without having to click. But for me the web is built on links and so
I expect to have to click to get information.

Personally, unless the site is a 'commercial' venture, or you are
expecting to have huge numbers of visitors, I would say you should
apply the following criteria:

1. The site should load quickly and be easy to navigate
2. The site should be easy to maintain with your current
skills/toolset
3. At the end of the day it is content that matters on most sites
rather than layout. If you have interesting and up to date content
then people will return.
4. If the site is mainly for your familay and friends, then make it
look the way you want it rather than the way you think it *should*
look.

Al IMHO and not criticising any site in particular in case I've
upset any of the PHP Nuke boys here :-)