RE: Re: [OT] Kenneth's pet project!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] Kenneth's pet project!
  • From: "Ian Willoughby" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:13:44 +0100

> The simplest way is to rearrange the 3 parts. Do it backwards:
> suffix, domain, name. Also change the name of the function and the
> arguments. If a bot is created that can understand javascript (not
> for years, if ever!) then nothing you do using javascript can protect
> your address. Other options are to use server side scripting so if
> you click on a "email me" link it sends a HTTP request to
the server
> which looks to see if it's a real browser making the request and not
> a bot (various checks can be done) and then sends back a HTTP
> redirect to an email link.

We already use this http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/ to
process Javascript
links on pages from our own product. The bots probably already use this
or similar to interpret JavaScript, so for "not for years,ever!"
read
probably already doing it now or very soon.

Use the web form it is far safer or possibly a Java Applet.

R's
Ian