Re: turbonet / Tivoweb - what will it give me

At 12:16 PM 2/13/03 +0000, Doogie Brodie wrote:

> You can certainly send remote control keystrokes via a URL if you've got
> TivoWeb installed.... so any cron or similar program could directly hit
> record (I think you'll need to also press select a few times or
> something... not sure how unsubbed work with no schedule etc) .... as
> for "stopping", you could force a channel change, up to abandon
> recording and select.....

The follow applies to a TiVo without a subscription:

Periodically Tivo will display an "Important Message: Tivo Service
Required" screen.  When this happens all the buttons on the remote
control are disabled except PageUp, PageDown and Select.  Even
Standby and Live TV are disabled.  When this happens press
Select to continue.

The record button (when it isn't disabled by the above) is
the same as a subbed Tivo except that it only records up to
the next half-hour boundary.  If you want a recording to
continue across this boundary then it must be setup in
advance using "Record by Time/Channel".

If you know that TiVo is not recording then the IR sequence
"Select; Record; Select" will start recording.  If you know
that TiVo is recording then "Select; Record; Down-arrow;
Select" will stop recording.

This second sequence will also start recording if currenttly
stopped so it can be used as a toggle.

As mentioned elsewhere the better solution appears to be to setup
many daily repeating manual timers to cover 24 hours in chunks.
You can then use TiVoWeb to periodically scan the Now Showing list
and change the "Save Until" dates so that recordings are either
kept or overwritten.  I haven't done this myself by the TiVo
forums and the [UKHA_TiVo] list are better places to ask for this
kind of information.

Nick.