Re: Tivo SCART control...

Keith Doxey wrote:

> The function of SCART switching is determined by the designer of the
> equipment and sometimes they dont always make the best decisions. My Pioneer
> CD player in the car is a classic example. Some of the buttons are dual
> function, short press does one thing, long press does another. The "Source"
> button cycles through "OFF/Tuner" or "OFF/CD/Tuner" depending upon whether
> there is a CD in the slot. If I have a CD playing and eject it, the unit
> goes OFF, however if I switch to Tuner first I can eject the CD and the
> Tuner stays on. Inserting a CD at any time will go straight into play mode.
> The way I would have designed it would be for a short press to change
> between CD/Tuner and a long press to turn it off. I would also make it drop
> back to Tuner when a CD was ejected just as all Radio/Cassette players I
> have ever had have done.

I disagree, if its off when you stick a CD in, then it should not revert
to tuner when you eject the disk.  I have a panasonic, and it rather
iratates me to have loud obnoxious static when I am changing discs,
*even if* it was set to AUX when I stuck the disk in (sometimes) - I
think it needs to be powercycled before it assumes tuner is what it will
drop back to.

> I think that more modern TV sets are probably better thought out as people
> now have more external equipment connected to TV's than they used to but no
> doubt the more demanding consumers such as inhabit UKHA will find more
> shortcomings than Joe Public :-)

Previously when the only thing to connect was a VCR, people were
accustomed to the TV/VCR selecor on them already, so having the tv/vcr
selector also toggle the pin 8 and force the TV to watch the scart would
have made sence because the tv's tuner would generally be useless with
the selector in VCR mode.

Remember that scart is a euro thing, and not all countries have UHF
modulators on there vcr's, but VHF ones like the states have where the
RF passthru is killed when in VCR mode.