RE: Tivo SCART control...

Hi Paul,

Late reply as usual due to not being able to read email until the evening
:-(

As others have said, TiVo is doing what it should do. All TV that you watch
should be through Tivo so that it learns what you watch. This means it needs
to take Pin 8 of the SCART high so that it grabs the TV. When TiVo is on
Standby it will still record and you can also start it recording something
then switch it off and it will continue to record.

Your problems are specifically down to the TV and its implementation of
SCART switching. Below is an extract from a document I downloaded from
somewhere...

<QUOTE>
2.1.1.3 A TV must never prevent a channel/source change if pin 8 and/or pin
16 on the currently viewed SCART input is asserted.

Reasoning: Some STBs, DVDs, etc. will leave pin 8 (and pin 16 if RGB signals
are in use) asserted all the time that they are powered. If the user wishes
to change to an internal TV preset or another SCART input without powering
down the currently active peripheral, the TV must respond to this request -
it must not "lock" the user to the currently viewed SCART input.
</QUOTE>

SCART switching can be level triggered or edge triggered. Level triggered
will activate any time the pin is high, edge triggered only takes effect
when the pin rises from low to high.

Having said that, here are my experiences.

Philips TV circa 1987 - Single SCART - Active SCART stole the TV with no way
to get back to the Tuner

Goldstar TV circa 1993 - Single SCART - Active SCART stole the TV and also
disabled the internal tuner removing its signals from the "Out" pins of the
SCART, unable to select internal sources.

Mitsubishi AV1 circa 1995 - Twin SCART - Active SCART grabs the TV but you
can manually select a TV channel and that will be displayed. AV1 takes
priority over AV2 so if both SCARTS are active, AV1 will be displayed. You
can manually select AV2 though. A real annoyance is that if you have an
active SCART on AV2 and choose to override it with a TV channel all is well
unless you then get an active AV1 such as a VCR. Press play on the VCR and
it grabs AV1 as you want, but when you stop the VCR and AV1 goes low,
instead of dropping back to the TV you were watching, it then senses that
AV2 is still high and displays that despite the fact you had previously
overridden it.

The function of SCART switching is determined by the designer of the
equipment and sometimes they dont always make the best decisions. My Pioneer
CD player in the car is a classic example. Some of the buttons are dual
function, short press does one thing, long press does another. The "Source"
button cycles through "OFF/Tuner" or "OFF/CD/Tuner" depending upon whether
there is a CD in the slot. If I have a CD playing and eject it, the unit
goes OFF, however if I switch to Tuner first I can eject the CD and the
Tuner stays on. Inserting a CD at any time will go straight into play mode.
The way I would have designed it would be for a short press to change
between CD/Tuner and a long press to turn it off. I would also make it drop
back to Tuner when a CD was ejected just as all Radio/Cassette players I
have ever had have done.

I think that more modern TV sets are probably better thought out as people
now have more external equipment connected to TV's than they used to but no
doubt the more demanding consumers such as inhabit UKHA will find more
shortcomings than Joe Public :-)

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv