Re: Newbie bathroom lighting / wiring regs question.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Newbie bathroom lighting / wiring regs question.
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 19:53:47 +0000

Peter, for local control in the bathroom, as Neil says, you aren't allowed
to have mains wall switches, - but you *are* allowed to have ceiling-mounted
ones with pullcords. trouble is, for direct attachment to X10 modules, you
need a momentary action switch, which aren't exactly commonplace in the big
DIY chains... They are available however, - often sold with red cords for
use as emergency alarm switches in old-folks homes etc...

you other alternative is to use LV switching in the bathroom, and there are
a number of ways you can do this:

Direct into a HA controller such as Homevision or Ocelot
via a hardware interface such as a Phaedrus VIOM
via a "secret switch" or "sensor-switch"

URL's:

Homevision - http://www.csi3.com/homevis2.htm
Ocelot - http://www.appdig.com/ocelot.html
Phaedrus VIOM - http://www.phaedrusltd.co.uk/pages/html/viom.html
Secret & sensor switches - http://www.sensor.co.uk/lighting_products.htm

You can also homebrew interfaces to PC's via the serial, parallel, or
joystick ports, - many circuits abound on the web that you can build for
just a few quid that give you anything from just a couple of inputs, to
possibly as much as 8-inputs and 8-outputs..

If you use a HA controller, you can perform the switching either by X10, or
by using an output to drive a relay or such like.

Finally, you could also put an X10 transceiver module in the vicinity and
use battery operated RF switches, either hand-held, or wall-mounted ones
like the X10 SS13. I'm not a great fan of X10 wireless stuff though...

Give you a few ideas?

:-)

Paul G.