RE: PR511 mounting options

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: PR511 mounting options
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:27:07 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Paul Gordon wrote:

> that you sell these at your standard "cost plus X percent..."= ; margin, I am
> referring to the ever-present US->UK rip off...

I would disagree with your reference. There are many hidden costs,
liabilities, and sometimes time consuming difficulties involved in
importing on a commercial basis. Merely comparing UK to US prices alone
would not give you a fair picture. The subject has been discussed many
times before.

> and I think the lack of a picture, - meaning that I have absolutely *n= o
> idea* just what exactly I am shelling out for, really doesn't mean tha= t
> everything is peachy...

No, I agree. There is a photo of it on our website,
http://www.laser.com/= ?laserlink=3Dliprbox

> It would have to be a "pretty bloody impressive" piece of pl= astic to make it
> worth =A314, and without a picture, I can't make that determination, h= ence the
> obvious reluctance to buy....

I am not debating whether you should buy or not, that is obviously your
personal decision.

> When you consider that square plastic boxes can be had from 49p in the= DIY
> sheds, square metal boxes can be had for 99p, and the following:

You are not comparing like with like. These are standard UK boxes that are<= BR> produced in vast quantities and sold by the biggest of UK DIY stores. I
don't believe the PR511 backbox is in that league, even for a product
originated from the U.S.

> the UK that don't suddenly jump from being around a pound-or-two's wor= th of
> product to a whopping =A314. - We're used to the $-=A3 conversion rip-= off which

You are assuming the cost price is that but the real price to us is much more. The U.S. distributor is obviously taking a cut but I don't believe we are being ripped off because they are sending the backboxes to the UK.
> Perhaps it is because it "fits the PR511 perfectly" that is = telling... is
> the product a custom-made item *specifically* for the PR511? or is it = an
> off-the-shelf part in the U.S. that is a "standard" electric= al acessory that
> just happens to fit the "standard" base fitting on the PR511= ?

I believe it is the latter.

> At the end of the day, it is the customer who must be the arbiter of w= hat is
> and is not a rip-off, (that is market forces at work), and I have deci= ded

But I suggest that your criteria for the decision is flawed.

> dispose of of my hard-earned, and someone, somwhere along the line mus= t be
> profiteering by exploiting the fact that the exact item required isn't=
> readily available here...

I disagree. No one can be sure of the fact that the backbox is unavailable<= BR> in the UK. The U.S. distributor certainly don't and don't care. It
wouldn't influence their pricing one way or the other.

> I hope you guys don't take offence at that, there is certainly none in= tended
> :-), but that is the way it is unfortunately...

I understand, and no offence is intended on my part either. However, the fact remains that as a famous TV personality and hence a role model for
some young impressionable UKHA minds, you should make your off-screen
comments responsibly. :-)

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx Laser Business Systems Ltd.