Re: Advert: Roombas in the UK - IN STOCK

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Advert: Roombas in the UK - IN STOCK
  • From: "the_home_automator <db@xxxxxxx>" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:13:58 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <Mark@L...> wrote:
> Peter
>
> Are you saying that only the transformer is CE approved?

Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as CE approved.  There is
no body who examines things and approves them (or otherwise), unlike
for example the UL mark that stuff from the states hs.

There is a legal requirement for many types of goods "brought to
market" within an EEC state to be CE marked; it is an offense to sell
goods not so marked where marking is required.

Almost anything electrical or electronic wil be required to conform
to a number of directives (such as the Low Voltage directive, EMC
compatibility directive), and the CE mark shows a product conforms to
the relevant directives.

The poblem is that if you are not Bosch or Sony (with effectively
infinite budgets), how do you know which directives you need to
comply with, and how do you prove you comply?  As an example, EMC
compliance testing is going to leave you with little change from 5K.

The answer is that almost all small scale electronics manufacturers
and suppliers (including PC assemblers) mark their goods CE, but the
goods are not ecessarily compliant or tested.  It is not a strategy
without risk, as several PC assemblers have found out to their cost
but it is the only option available to the vast majority of mini
maufacturers.  Including me.  This is rock and hard place territory

Back to Roombas:  www.roomba.de and Mark are both buying them in bulk
>from But the folks in Germany are bunging a CE sticker on the Roomba to
stay wihin the law.  ish.  Who knows if a Roomba is compliant with
the relevant directives?

I suspect Mark will have to CE sticker his Roombas before sale.  If
he doesnt put a sticker on, he's beaking the law if he sells them.

David.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor