Re: Fw: Comfort LCD

I have been thinking about a similar solution could be achieved to
control Comfort, Barix Exstreamers, CBUS Lighting and an Elan whole
house audio amplifier (the Elan system has RS232 control from PC and
supply an application for that purpose ).

My thoughts were leaning towards the Idea of a central server running
Linux Terminal Server Project, this would connect up to comfort etc
etc. And then use Linux clients based on an LCD touchscreen and Via
DSP board (no local drives required) this approach would be much
cheaper than that proposed by comfort especially if you fancy touch
screens control in multiple rooms.(thus far ignoring software
development costs) Admittedly some work would be required to amke
things look pretty for the all important SWMBO approval!!!

My ideal would be that the server run actual menu screens rather than
be web browser based, but this is where the plan falls apart due to
the fact that the software for this isn't out there. And as Paul Gale
suggests those people with the expertise to do this kind of thing
have more than enough proper paying work to take up their time.

So question is how much do people charge for this kind of development
or am I about to need a second mortgage if i ask somebody to do this
for me??

Paul

P.S. Could this be acheived by bolting together xAP modules??
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@k...> wrote:
> Of course it's expensive, because it's tailored and made for them
and they
> need huge volumes to drop the cost.
> I just suggested them to use some standard components to achieve
the same
> results e.g.
> - use LCD touchscreen - about ?400
> - use KVM over CAT5 - about ?300
> - use dedicated server based on VIA mini ITX motherboard - about ?
300 (this
> is optional, for people without server)
>
> Most of us (including me) would need only first two pieces, and it
would
> have much greater flexibility. They would be able to sell it even to
> non-Comfort users (like me).

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
HGTV Dream Home Giveaway