From: Phil Harris
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 10:43 PM
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] KISS DP500

> I finally got round to running some CAT5 to my KISS DP500. I have
> ripped all of my CD collection to my MP3 / Media server,
> downloaded all of our digital photos onto the server and sat and
> started playing. SWMBO came in, watched me for 5 minutes then
> took the remote off me and has sat for the past half hour playing
> all of her favourite tracks. Never have I seen such instant SWMBO
> approval in my life, she is in heaven. I must say the new PC link
> softweare is very good. I am going to see how it handles some VOBs
later.

> I can honestly say, I have been very pleased with my DP500. I am
> thinking of installing my copy of showshifter onto my media
> server (recording in divx pro) and seeing how it handles streamed
> recordings. Does anyone have any experience of doing this ??

I've just been in touch with KISS's tech support guys because about 18
months ago we had a DP500 to trial because I thought that it would be the
ideal bit of kit for the playback of my network movies ... unfortunatly
although at the time they assured me that it would play extracted DVD's off
the network they were wrong but assured me that it would be attended to in
future firmware release.

Well, I had the "pleasure" of talking by email to one of their
guys last
week ... I explained carefully what I was doing and how I was storing my
movie data and asked whether the DP500 could now play that data off the
network.

"Yes ... that has been working for some time." was the reply ...
so I
decided to download the latest version of PC Link just to be sure and sure
enough nothing has changed! The DP500 still can't do what their tech
support
guys say it can.

Now, this isn't a criticism of the DP500 - that's an OK machine - but I'm
not at all happy with KISS and their knowledge of their product (we were
looking to sell it after all).

Phil