RE: Cat 5 doublers

> If you have a patch panel at one end, why not rewire a single cable
into two
> patch sockets and save the cost of one doubler?

Because it totally defeats the concept of a structured wiring system by
introducing non-standard wiring. The plug in adapters whilst being a
partial
bodge to overcome lack of infrastructure do maintain the integrity of the
structured wiring scheme.

> I did this at the patch panel and then put another clip-in RJ45 module
at
> the other end, saved about ?20 when I did it... :)

Which if the patch panel is already in place and neatly wired is very
awkward
to alter. You also now have two sockets that can only be used for ethernet
as a
phone line would need to use the BLUE/White pair on 4&5 which in your
situation
will not exist.

Another alternative is to use a low cost hub/switch. You only need one main
connection at your patch panel and can have as many PC's/Printers running
on
the end of a single cable as you want.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk