From: Ian Lowe [mailto:ian@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 12 December 2003 21:22
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Rapidhoster !

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rowdy" <aoop43@xxxxxxx>

> Anyone with similar problems or any advice.

Just one, and without any digs at the various people offering hosting
services on the list...

Make a judgement call on the value of your hosting, and just how much
you
need that site up.

If it's your main email address, and you really need it to be available
reliably, then let's face it: if someone is only making ten quid a year,
exactly how much resilience or techncial support effort do you want or
expect for that sort of cash?

I mean, seriously, chalk out the bandwidth charges and rackspace, and if
someone working on McDonalds Counter Staff wages works on your problem
for
half an hour over the whole year, the supplier is making a loss. The
entire
business model is absoutely dependant on not having to do much support.

Our company provides hosting services, we charge about fifteen times
what
rapidhoster do, and even then, we only offer it to our support customers
as
a value add - I wouldn't dream of selling hosting services for any less
than
a couple of hundred a year to have any realistic chance of making a
profit
and providing the level of support that I would happy with.

If you want something reliable, check the reviews here:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/
and see what people say about what a
hoster
does when things go wrong.

Ultimately, If you decide that bargain basement hosting is good enough,
go
for it, but be realistic in your expectations of what you are buying.

Ian.