Intro & Ceiling Speakers

I am new in here and reading back through the archive I see that
everyone is allowed (at least) one dumb question so I thought I
would get mine in early.

I live in a bungalow / single storey barn conversion (actually it is
a converted cow shed although my girlfriend tells everyone it was a
stable).  All of my audio and video kit is "upstairs" in the roof
void - including the Sky boxes and AV amps - I only have kit
downstairs that I need access to in order to stick disks or tapes in
and these are hidden in cupboards and not on view.  I am using
several Linksys Media Apapters to feed the seperate audio systems in
each of the main rooms from one of my servers which is also up in
the roof.

I now want to loose all of the speakers in the ceiling so that the
only thing left on display downstairs are the televisions themselves.

As I have loads of space up there, is there any reason why I can't
use normal speakers rather than low profile ceiling speakers?  I was
thinking about either firmly fixing them between the ceiling joists
or if they vibrated, to hang them from chains over a ceiling mounted
grille.

Is this a daft idea?  Have I missed something?  Is there more to a
ceiling speaker apart from its lower profile?

Cheers

Mik