From: Marcus Warrington [mailto:marcusw@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 10 December 2003 11:27
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] X10 - shutting down a PC ?

Has anyone devised a way to shut down a PC using X10 ?

My son is always leaving his PC turned on and I would like to automate a
way
of cleanly shutting it down and switching off. My best guess so far is to
butcher an Appliance module so that the relay is isolated from the mains
and
have it short the "Shutdown" button on the PC. I'd have to send
ON then OFF
to stop it holding the shutdown button in and so switching off immediately,
another appliance module could then disconnect the mains a few minutes
later.

Failing that can I shut it down by sending a message over the network ? His
PC is running XP Pro and the main house server is running Win2K Pro.. I
guess this must be possible since BlasterWorm manages to do it across the
t'internet

Marcus

UKHA 2004: 15th and 16th May 2004

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

This e-mail is private and confidential and is intended
solely for the person it is addressed to. Any disclosure,
distribution, copying or printing, or use of the
information contained herein for whatever purpose by
anyone other than the recipient is prohibited and legal
action may be taken as a result.