Re: OT : Digital Camera Question

On 8 Dec 2003, at 20:23, Ben McCormack wrote:
> Presently I have got a Canon S40 which is good, and It has a 3x zoom
> lens. 7.1-21.3 mm
> I am looking to move up-to the new Canon 300D / Rebel SLR. 18 - 55mm
> Lens. I am going to the US next week and I can get one for around
=A3575.

Nice price...

> My question is what difference will I see in the lenses. Will the 300D
> zoom in as much or will I loose some of the zoom?

55/18 =3D ~3.06 ie ever so slightly "better" range. However the
300D=20
starts at a slightly wider angle (28mm in 35mm terms), so it has=20
slightly less zoom capability compared to the S40 - 28-90mm vs 35-105mm=20
(35mm equivalent). (data from www.steves-digicams.com)

You could buy the 300D body only and get a lens that approximates=20
35-105mm instead. A slightly wide angle can be handy though...

Jim