Re: Re: Serial over Ethernet

The closest I think you will come to this is a Digi Connect ME

http://www.digi.com/products/embeddeddeviceservers/digiconnectme.jsp

These can be connected to a computer like one of that same companies=20
multi-port serial servers, presenting like a local serial port on the=20
computer. The problem is that it uses a very awkward (for the home
tinkerer=
)=20
small pin-pitch connector to present the serial connections. A colleague
of=
=20
mine is working with these right now with a view to deploying 300+ of
the=20
things onto our factory floor. Price is about =C2=A340 each if I
remember=20
correctly. You would also have to supply these with a 3.3v supply, which
yo=
u=20
might not have available depending on your device.

Alternatively there is siteplayer

http://www.siteplayer.com/

which costs $30US, but this doesn't present on the computer in quite so=20
friendly a way and would probably require some code development to get it
t=
o=20
work the way you want. That price does not include the RJ45 socket and=20
magnetics, so you need to add =C2=A34 to =C2=A35 to the price.

Steven

On Monday 08 December 2003 14:43, Primo=C5=BE Gabrijel=C4=8Di=C4=8D wrote:
> All industry-strength solutions for this problem are also
industry-priced
> (as one would excpect).
>
> And the eBay is not really of much help here - hard to find three
equal
> boxen (one on the terminal, two on the firewall - on trunk connections
fr=
om
> two different switches).
>
> Thanks to everybody for recommendations and help you offered but it
seems
> like my colleague will just use the exiting cabling for dedicated
serial
> connection (unplugged from the switch, of course).
>
> That is, unless somebody know of a _simple_, _one chip_ solution that
can
> run ethernet (not TCP, not even IP, I know of several TCP/IP solutions
bu=
> they are too complicate) over UTP. Adding a Atmel to interface it with
th=