Re: Pinnacle ShowCenter + PVR

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Pinnacle ShowCenter + PVR
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:39:19 -0000

Tony

I would be very interested to know what you think of the ShowCenter,
because I am toying with the idea of client/server distributed video
and movies. I was going to go down the route of slient windows
clients PC's where my plasma screens are (3 locations - all with
cat5 wired), but this one made me stop and reconsider. I am building
a 2 Tb server to rip my dvd's onto. But then I thought it would be
nice to have some kind of PVR in there too so that recorded off-air
programs could be stored and viewed by clients. I looked at the
Pinnecle sat card CI, which claims Sky compatibility, but it needs a
CAM in order to slot a Sky card into the device. I am looking around
for this, but so far no luck -- if anyone knows what kind of CAM
would be suitable for sky & how to get one, I would be very
grateful --
Then recorded Sky programs could be viewed over the lan.
The main question would be how it manages the various flavours of
MPEG video out there. I am hesitant to start ripping 190+ dvd's into
vob's (dvdshrink or dvd-decryptor) if Showcenter wants to see them
in a MPEG2 format.
How are you planning to use Showcenter??

Thanks

Keyvan