[OT] legal help

I pay my accountant a fixed amount every month and have done since 1997.
This includes everything. Now all of a sudden I get a bill from him saying
he has charged me for doing my end of year accounts and a recent PAYE and
VAT  inspection. I asked to know a reason why and  he said that my business
has expanded which it hasnt. I said at the very least you should have
warned me before doing the work so I could make a decision..

I am writing a letter of compliant and wondered if anyone knew of a
particular law I can quote to him. Or indeed is this against the law or my
rights? It certainly isn't very ethical.

any help much appreciated.