Living Room Lighting (X10?) (Was: Wireless Lightswitches?)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Living Room Lighting (X10?) (Was: Wireless Lightswitches?)
  • From: Ross McKillop <home@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 02:01:54 +0000

Looking for an opinion on the following (and SWMBO isnt going to let me
spend anything with three digits on lighting control, although I might
be allowed a bit more freedom with whole house audio! :P)

Living room as is follows;
1 overhead light
2 uplighters (paired)
2 table lamps.

Current idea is to use a LM12W for the overhead light and another for
the uplighters, and then 2x LM12U units for the table lamps...

Whole lot would be controlled with an SS13E RF Switch (this is one of
the only reasons i'm getting away with strange lighting at all... the
lightswitch is in the wrong place and a stick-on one is a quick
raggle-free solution!)

Anyone got any alternative ideas that fit with my HA on a Budget
restrictions :P

Initially I'd be using the switch as intended (three switches for
on/off and one for up/down dimming) but in the future i'd quite like to
have it talk to a controller and use the switches to recall scenes
somehow? (i believe the switches can only execute on/off commands for
three consecutive id numbers (e.g. A2,A3,A4) but these can be trapped
by a controller to create a virtual-scene thing cant they? e.g. If an
A2 on command is issued, it runs a script/macro or something instead to
bring lights to preset levels?)

On another note, if anyone has an SS13E could you let me know (of list
if you like) what it's like if you've ever pulled one apart... My goal
is to convert it into a pretty Chrome switch that fits in with the rest
of our decor... any success or failure will be documented with pictures
somewhere :P

p.s. yes I'd love a C-Bus or Ulti system, but it isnt cheap :P - and I
dont think theres a wireless lightswitch available for C-Bus.
--
Ross McKillop

dangerous content and is believed to be clean