RE: Source of acrylic rod

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Source of acrylic rod
  • From: "Stuart Billinghurst" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 20:50:03 -0000

I brought 6 of 1mtr @ 6mm lengths from RS not two weeks ago.. Shame as I
only needed 15mm length at present.

-----Original Message-----
From:
sentto-1109639-87682-1070469998-stuart=3Dbillinghursts.com@xxxxxxx.
yahoo.com
[mailto:sentto-1109639-87682-1070469998-stuart=3Dbillinghursts.com@xxxxxxx
.groups.yahoo.com] On Behalf Of Graham Howe
Sent: 03 December 2003 16:45
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Source of acrylic rod

Just thought I'd pass on the following information after spending the=20
best part of an hour trying to get hold of some acrylic rod.

I am planning to put HomeVision, Firm and a few other bits into a=20
rack mount case as per the fine example at Frank's site=20
http://www.users.bigpond.com/armagh/page58.html

As with Frank's example I want the boards at the back of the case for=20
connections, but want to see the status of the LEDs at the front of=20
the case. So I wanted some clear acrylic rod (preferably 5mm) to=20
transmit the light. I tried Maplin, Farnell/CPC, RS all to no avail,=20
then a google search turned up these guys http://www.gcip.co.uk/ and=20
after a quick phone call I now have a few lengths of 5mm rod in the=20
post.

The cost is =A39.16 per 2m length, but postage is =A312.50 because of
the=20
size. However I said I was happy for them to snap the rods to a=20
length that would fit in a jiffy bag and they're sending them in the=20
post for free. So including VAT I am paying about =A332 for a total of=20
6m which should be enough for many projects to come :-)