RE: Re: [OT] Urgent help needed Win2K SP4

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] Urgent help needed Win2K SP4
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 19:42:05 -0000

> From: Stuart Whyte [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
>
> Basically the procedure is to bring up task manager (Ctrl + shift +
Esc.)
> Select File, New Task, and type "explorer.exe" in the box
(no
> quotes), this
> will run explorer manually.

Hi Stuart,

Problem now solved.... well actually "got rid of"

The cause of the problem appears to be a mis-spelling on label stuck to the
lid. It reads "This Laptop is Electronically Tagged". The nature
of the
mis-spelling is that the final word should start with "SH" rather
than "T".

Having tried to get explorer running manually, tried running Win2K Repair,
and trying a clean install of Win2K all of which kept resulting in blue
screens, it would seem that the RAM is knackered as it keeps reporting
memory size changes and memory check errors at boot-up. Said laptop has now
been returned to its owner who didnt seem worried when I explained what had
happened. In fact, he said "I kept noticing the messages about
memory".

Borrowed a different laptop and used that instead :-)

Thanks for the tip about (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) - didnt know that one.

Keith