Re: VoIP .. Does it work in the real world ?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: VoIP .. Does it work in the real world ?
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:28:10 -0000

> Is anyone out there actually using VoIP ?
>
> Are you using it over the internet ?
>
> If so how do you find the quality ?

Astonishingly good, even over ADSL with no QoS guarantees, although
not as good as a BT landline call at all times. I use it primarily
for international calls.

> If you are happy with the quality would you consider using
> internet based VoIP a viable replacement for traditional lines ?

Yes, for e.g. internal corporate communications. PSTN breakout is
essential for talking to the majority of "ordinary" people.

The ability to forward fixed line calls to e.g. occasional
homeworkers without incurring per-minute billing or requiring an
additional line is also a major bonus.

> What are you using in the way of hardware and software (& Codecs)
?

Asterisk for PSTN breakout/PBX functionality.

Snom handsets. I tried softphones, and the poor echo cancellation is
a killer. "Real" handsets make all the difference to VoIP being
viable.

We've also found that handsets work fine over 802.11b (pretty much as
you would expect), which is an added convenience.

Patrick