RE: Sky+ and terrestrial on 2 cables?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Sky+ and terrestrial on 2 cables?
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:10:44 -0000

Hi Steve,

I see no reason why not.

There a satellite distribution amps that feed LNB and Terrestrial aerial
over a single cable with a faceplate splitting the signal below. The only
caveat woud be that these distribution amp are designed for two dual, or a
single quattro LNB.

My previous analogue setup used two LNB's for Astra and Hotbird. The LNB
inputs to the switch were Astra_V, Astra_H, Hotbird_V, Hotbird_H. If the
22kHx tome was present I got Hotbird, without it I got Astra and the 13/18V
switching determined if it was Vertical or Horizontal.

With SKY digital the LNB actually has cover 4 channel ranges Low_V, Low_H,
High_V, High_H.
A normal SKY digital LNB and the QUAD LNB's have switching circuitry built
in to select Low/High V/H according to the voltage and 22kHz tone on each
cable meaning that a satellite receiver can be connected directly to it.

By comparison, a QUATTRO LNB does not have the switching circuitry but the
four outputs are LowV, LowH, HighV, HighH and are intended to be connected
to a satellite switch. The real advantage of the Quattro/Switch method over
a QUAD LNB is that switches are available with upto 32 outputs and you can
also add additional switches meaning you can drive almost as many receivers
as you like from a single dish and LNB.

There might be a simpler combiner so that you can just go...

LNB---\            /----SAT
ANT---/            \----TV

.. but you would need to find an independant installer who knew about it.

Bet you wish you had run more cables now dont you !!!!

Hope that helps a little

Keith