RE: OT - Round tables?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT - Round tables?
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:00:07 +0100

I've done this a couple of times by having a an extra top and bottom row
and left and right column. Then simply have the curved corner image in
each of the 'extra' corner cells, a horizontal line image in the 'extra'
rows and vertical line image in the 'extra' columns.

The trick is knowing the length of the vertical and horizontal lines,
this can be achieved in two ways. The first option is to actually make
the tables fixed width and height, but this is of course restrictive for
dynamically generated tables. The second option is to actually set the
images as cell backgrounds, then they will stretch automatically to fit
the table. This second approach has the added advantage that you only
need small images.

I hope all this made sense, I have an example here
(http://www.romanway.com/default_old.htm)
though this is no longer in
use as the site has been re-designed. It also takes the technique a
little further with 3D effects and inner borders as well as outer ones.
But a look at the source should reveal the tricks.