RE: Cable marking ? [was Digest Number 3854]

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cable marking ? [was Digest Number 3854]
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 06:50:07 +0100

Marcus,

The labels will be very cheap - we'd probably use a thousand or so per
project. The biggest cost is the printing machine. Our panel Vendor can
afford to buy one as it gets re-used every project. Frank suggested a price
of AUS 1500 - roughly 600 quid !

This link lists them at around USD 400 i.e. 250 quid, but still too deep
for my pockets. Renting one may be an option though.
http://www.l-com.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=3790&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=105&iSubCat=166&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=3790

For bootlace crimps look at http://rswww.com and search for part # 311-7937
Not to be confused with "Pin Terminals" e.g. part # 267-4417
where the terminal is crimped twice, once to make the electrical
connection, and once to secure the terminal to the wire sheath.

We use the bootlace crimps (aka bootlace ferrules) for the fixed wiring in
our control panels. The wire is stranded and the bootlace crimps ensure
good electrical connections when the wire is inserted into the terminal
blocks. An alternative would be to tin the strands to make the wire a solid
core but this would be a very laborious process.

HTH,

Tim H.

<haweste@xxxxxxx>

+