RE: Re: C-Bus and Wire-wound transformers - HELP

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: C-Bus and Wire-wound transformers - HELP
  • From: "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:38:37 +0100

>Our entire house is mains halogens.  I have no issues with the colour
temp
>at all.  I have found them to be very reliable, despite the rumours,
we've
>replaced about 6 bulbs in 4 years (34 circuits X muliple units).

Unfortunately they werent rumours :(

I think if there ok at time of fitting they will last a good while - in my
last place my Mains Halogens lasted 2 years before moving with none
blowing.

Last year we were install around 300 mains fittings a month, using branded
lamps such a GEC or Osram we had an attrition rate of over 30% - not good.

On investigation we drew these results.

Mains Halogen manufacturers do not warrant their lamps for a given time.
The
offer recommended life upto 4000 hrs. We were informed that due to design
problems they were unable to manufacture a suitable filament to withstand
being knocked around prior to fitting.

We moved all our fitting to LV, and now use 5000hr guaranteed LV lamps,
together with 5yr guaranteed transformers. Though we have introduced an
additional point of failure, i.e. the transformer, and have almost doubled
our purchase cost, the ongoing saving in lack of failures is tremendeous.

At one point we were buying pressed white Mains downlights c/w branded
lamps
at under £3.50. At that price something has to give :)

Dean.