RE: Air Con

This thread has got me thinking... (oh, and the recent hot weather might
have had something to do with it as well!)

I have a couple of mobile aircon units from the Homebase clearout a couple
of years ago, both currently sitting in the loft, both currently idle...
:-(

I'm currently having my main lounge downstairs gutted & refurbished, as
part
of which I will be clearing out the cellar and rebuilding my Node zero... -
I'll most likely have a good portion of the lounge floorboards up whilst
this is hapenning...

How well do you think it would work if I were to attempt to provide aircon
to the lounge by placing the unit in the cellar, and ducting the cooled air
to outlets in the lounge floor...

Bear in mind that the cellar does maintain a reasonably constant, and
reasonably cool temperature all year round (it is below ground level).
during this recent hot weather, it is by far the coolest place in the house
(although I don't have any temperature measurements - yet). There is also a
drain available for the dehumidifier to drain the water into. Finally,
there
are conveniently positioned airbricks available for the hot air to be
vented
to the outside of the building, thus preventing heat build-up in the cellar
where the unit is extracting its air from...

I realise that these units are generally meant to operate in the same space
they are cooling so that they eventually start cooling the air that they
intake and thus don't have to work so hard, but in this case, do you think
I'd be able to get away with it?. The cooled air exhause is via vanes on
the
fron of the unit, I was thinking of affixing some plastic ductng over this,
- permanently affixed (screwed?), and sealed with silicone sealant, then
reducing that into (say) 4 smaller bore platic ducts which I'd route under
the lounge floor to a couple of strategic points. (one of them being
immediately under the AV cabinet in the lounge, to hopefully provide a bit
of cooling to the amp etc...). they duct would be affixed to the underside
of the lounge floor, and would vent through the flloor via a hole, probably
covered with some form of cosmetic grille...

What about the dehumidifying effect in the sub-floor area? - are there
likely to be any problems with changing the humidity in the area around the
ground floor joists?, if so, are there any precautions I can/should take to
mitigate this?

If I can pull it off this would be a cool project! (pun very much
intended!)

Thoughts anyone?

Paul G.

>From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Air Con
>Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 11:53:31 +0100
>
> > Does anybody know If it is poosible to get an air
> > conditioning unit that doesn't look quite as
> > industrial as this, may be recessed into the ceiling
> > or even better where all you see is the grille for the
> > vent the rest being hidden in the roof above
>
>Yes, you can and they're known as "cartridge units", Toshiba
do some nice
>ones amongst others but they are *NOT* cheap to buy or install and are
>generally regarded as commercial aircon units.
>
> > Is it possible to get units that have more than one
> > outlet??
>
>Yes, see comments above as they apply here too!
>
> > Am in the process of relocating and aircon for my
> > office/study and at least the master bedroom is on the
> > list for the new house, but it would be good if this
> > could be extended easily later on to include more
> > bedrooms
>
>Systems like that are designed from scratch Paul and it will not be
cheap
>do it. There was a central unit type affair that just ducted but I
think
>they may have gone bust, I mailed them and they never ever got back to
me
>despite being in the trade. That's the only "cheap"
alternative like that