Re: Gigabit LANs - Overkill for home?

Mark,

I'm thinking of upgrading also but don't really think I'll get any
performance gains for my main network it'll just be machines that are 64bit
or machines.

Currently I have a kick ass netgear switch which gives me practical
transfer
rates of 80mbps ie a 700-800meg file can be transfered over the network
between machines in about a minute.

If I was to upgrade I would be limited by the the speed of my disks and CPU
architecture. The current bottle neck are these....

Local speeds are :
root gw:~> hdparm -tT /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.63 seconds =203.17 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.70 seconds = 37.65 MB/sec

So if I upgrade the network at best and if I'm lucky I'll recogn I get
twice
as fast network speed and thats it.

Best and cheapest upgrade route I found was going with netgear..... 4 port
switch 200 squid + NICS @ 30 squid a piece but I'd use this for clustering
or interconnecting servers only.

Shaf