Re: Whole House Music Servers

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Whole House Music Servers
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:36:15 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@a...> wrote:
> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/pollBooth.php3?question_id=1255
>
> M.

I am currently running a "trial setup" to try to get a half-way
usefull "whole house music server" going.

I already have a systemline audio distribution setup sending music
to 6 zones (in fact 4 main zones and 2 sub-zones) with the usual
wall panel / IR / ceiling speakers installed.
It works well enough for the tuner source (just skipping through pre-
sets!) but no good for managing the cd-changer.
So I took an old PIII 800Mhz Gateway box, with a SoundBlaster Live
card, running XP Pro, with HomeSeer and 2 plug-in's (WMP9 and
HSFlash) and put it in the basement and used one of the systemline's
low-level input (there are 4 inputs - selectable from the wall
panels). I can now control and select music from networked pc's
around the house with the HSFlash front-end to homeseer web.

So far it is a major improvement over the old set-up where it was
virtually impossible to just find a CD or tracks without a trip to
the basement where the cd-changer and systemline setup lives.
But there are still speed and ease of use issues.
HSFlash / Homeseer seems slow to update the info in the browser and
I don't know of a better client/server software to achieve the same
thing or better.
My music collection is about 450 cd's which takes up 145GB on a
200Gb drive (used WMP 9 to rip to lossless WMA format).

Does anyone know of a better client/server music software? Tried
Media JukeBox 9 - could not get it to work!!

Any ideas??

Keyvan R