Re: Sensors / Switches / etc

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:35:27 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Dave McLaughlin" <dave@v...> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Ah, someone else who uses the old Quantech HA system.

Yep, I had about 15 boards (one a 6 input) and an LCD at the peak,
but its dropped off a bit now.  I'm now running my own controller,
not the AppCon software, which gives much snappier response than the
old Windows based software.

There is a lesson here; AppCon uses a three byte poll, three byte
message system, and as such theoretically you can get 60 polls per
second on a 2400 baud link, which gives great response, and the
ability to spot dead devices by lack of response.

It is a pity Mr Scargill and Quantech appear to be not as one, for he
built solid kit.

I (still) like the AppCon simplicity.  I've started looking at the
ICS interface boxes (eg http://www.bb-europe.com/product.asp?dept%
5Fid=116&sku=I%2D7060) which looks like it'll be just as good, and at
about the same price point if you can use all the I/O per module.