Re: Sensors / Switches / etc

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Sensors / Switches / etc
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:34:12 -0000

My $0.02:

Before I get there: I'm a big fan of bus technologies for automation,
so RS485 is my preferred media.

There are sensors used in HA that need to be reliable (as in 100%),
and stuff that can be less so.

For the "less so" stuff, xAP and xPL look fabulous, and there is
lots
of exciting work going on, but I've yet to see the first real
commercial product.  A great example of this would be a xAP
temperature sensor!

For stuff that needs to work, these broadcasty things are (in my
view) not really acceptable.  SOmething that is driven with
reliableity in mind is required.

I've used ADAM 4000 series boxes in the dim and distant past
(http://www.advantech.gr/products/product_index.asp.htm),
but they
are a tad pricy; the ICS kit appears to do the same thing, but is
cheaper, see http://www.bb-europe.com/data_acquisition.html

www.controlanything.com do something similar with their serial
protocol (albeit not RS485), as do RCS.

David.