RE: [TiVo] No User Interface on TiVoWeb

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [TiVo] No User Interface on TiVoWeb
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:30:20 +0100

Cheers Tony,

I didn't hack rc.sysinit on this occasion hence my concern at the reboot
problem. It was a minor change to the Tivoweb code ie replace a module.

After thinking about it overnight I think I may have suffered a HD
failure. My son was watching the Tivo in his bedroom (via rf
distribution) and feel asleep. When I went to switch off his TV (before
doing the hack) I noticed the screen was black but I didn't pay much
attention to it.

I could still telnet and ftp so did the hack.

Then the reboot problems.

I'll retrieve the disk (thanks for the pointer to your instructions) and
run the disk diagnostics on it. I fear I may have lost the contents and
may need to start from scratch :-( It was due for a good clearout.

Don

Damm!

> > The last time that happened was when I forgot to change tehe
execute
> > flag on the rc.sysint but this change looks minor and shouldn't
affect
> > the boot sequence.
>
> Oops - Did you do a Ken then? :)
>
> If you follow my instrucitions (www.freeranger.co.uk/TiVo/HowTo.htm)
for
> upgrading a hard disk as far as step 3 then you will have the drive in
the
> PC
> with a linux kernel running.
>
> You will then need to navigate to /etc/rc.d and chmod 755 rc.sysinit.
>
> Then I suggest you follow these
> (http://www.freeranger.co.uk/TiVo/HowTo.htm#SafeHacking)
instructions
so