RE: LED Replacement to Mains Halogen

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: LED Replacement to Mains Halogen
  • From: "Stuart Billinghurst" <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 22:42:29 +0100

I've got one but found the light output to be much lower then it's 240V
halogen equivalent.. they use what looks like a capacitor driven voltage
drop to save on heat and space, but Led's are diodes so depending on what
sort of dimming your using you will find that the cap will pop! or you will
get a drop out point..  Also most dimmers require a minimum wattage say 40W
with these lamps are no where near!..

Personally I thing that Led technology need to go allot further before they
become a viable replacement for filament lamps..