Re: Multi-room AV distribution

Every time I stay in a hotel, I leave determined to replicate the hotel TV
system.... you know the sort of things...

TV is remotely turned on before you walk into the room, with a message on
screen welcoming you by name,

an on-screen programme guide

A facility to set your wake-up call

A facility to select & watch movies (no sniggering at the back)

A facility to order newspapers/room service

IR return through the TV set itself

all implemented via the single integrated IR handset that comes with the TV

OK, I know we all can (and do) many/all of these features already, (and
more) but it never seems quite as seamless as when I see it implemented in
hotel...

Paul G.

>From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Multi-room AV distribution
>Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 07:55:05 +0100
>
>I've been thinking some more about this recently - mostly 'cos of a few
>long-haul flights I've taken.
>
>Each seat has a controller and a flat screen (6"-8"
touchscreen on Emirates
>& Virgin economy, 10" sort-of touchscreen on Malaysian
business class).
>Movies are stored on a hard drive (presumably) and each passenger can
>select and transport-control each film as if it was their personal
player.
>The Malaysian planes also had an MP3 library with software would allow
you
>to listen to an album, or choose multiple tracks from different albums
>create your own playlist.
>
>A ruck of video games were available through the same system too.
>
>The Malaysian airline's system was provided by Matsushita (sp?)
Corporation