RE: Lights, cabling, CBus, etc.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Lights, cabling, CBus, etc.
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 14:38:41 +0100

Just a quick comment before anyone gets the wrong end of the story here -
1.5mm is used for lighting circuits based on 240V distribution voltage -
the
mm diameter relates to the current that the conductors can carry safely -
too large a current / too small a conductor causes heating and possible
failure / fire risk.
When running low voltage lighting currents are MUCH higher - a 50W mains
lamp consumes 200ma - while a 50W 12V halogen consumes 4.2A - over twenty
times as much current. If you are running each lamp back to the transformer
then you have 4.2 A in each wire - if however you ran 5 lamps off one cable
in a daisychain fashion then the cable leaving the transformer would have
over 20A flowing in it - which is a lot and well above 1.5mm cabling
recommendations. That's why low voltage cables are 'beefy' and usually
quite
short. It also retains brightness at the extremes of the cable runs as the
voltage drops over distance.
David - your approach of running each one separately will be fine as you
suggested but don't daisychain low voltage without using adequately rated
cable.

kevin