Re: Cat5 related regulations

> First things first, you can *never* have enough Cat5, just ask one of
the list's moderators
;-)))))
I've discovered a few cables that I'd forgotten. So when I thought I'd
over-ordered my cat5 by 600m
on Friday, I'm now down to only having about 300m spare (on paper).

> I'd check out the IEEE wiring regs - now at the 16th edition IIRC.
Thanks - I'll take a look.

> My experience of official inspectors (DoT though, not Bldg Regs) is
that if you can demonstrate a
> neat, tidy, careful installation for the bits they can see, they have
more of a warm & fuzzy
feeling about
> the rest of the installation. All IME though.
That does seem to be the inspector's view of the work already undertaken
(we're 12 months in).

> Take care if you intend to install AV equipment in the loft
I don't really have a lot of choice, although I'm planning on the lounge
having the Sky, DVD, VCR
rather than moving them to the loft. But I've planned enough cabling that I
could move them there.
I'll have to keep a very close eye on temperature. It's got a floor space
about 18 feet square,
though with a sloping roof on three sides. The ridge isn't vented yet - I'm
hoping that will help
expell the hot air in summer, perhaps fan assisted. That will make the
winter situation worse
though.

> I'm planning to install a fire/smoke detector in the wiring closet and
probably some temperature
monitoring.
Me too.

> Anything else - just ask :-)