RE: Solenoid Radiator valves

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Solenoid Radiator valves
  • From: "Neil Ball" <neilball@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 09:46:11 +0100

There are a few options:

1) 240v or 24v actuators that fit directly to the radiator TRV. I would
recommend Honeywell versions as they are robust, quiet in operation and
loo=
ok fitted. I would suggest that on/off (better known as raise/lower or
moto=
open/motor close) actuators would be better and cheaper for a homebrew
system as it will allow control from both thermostat or sensor based
system=
quite easily. Proportional control could give a smoother response but that
relies on a bit more programming effort with the control strategy.=20

2) 240v or 24v themo-electric actuators could also be used. They are a
little slower to operate, but these are what get used on most underfloor
heating manifolds, and are cheaper again than the fully electric actuators.

In both cases you must match the actuator torque to the valve being used to
prevent damage to the valve. It's worth looking for your nearest branch of
Control Center to get an idea on costs for both actuator types.

In the end, whatever the cost of the actuators it still remains the only
practical way to zone a conventionally plumbed radiators system.

HTH

Neil.