LCD done, control & case to go...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: LCD done, control & case to go...
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 18:03:36 +0100

I've just finished interfacing my Gamecube LCD panel to my media PC.  First
of all, I just plugged cables in and sat it on top of the PC.  Next task
was
to hook it into the PSU from the PC.  All went well, so I chopped a 3m
length of CAT5 off a reel and got wondering.  I soldered one end of the
cable to the LCD panel to carry power and composite video (as well as a
switch to power it up), and the other end soldered to a phono plug, PSU and
power switch on the media PC.  To my surprise, it worked faultlessly, and
with no noticable loss in picture quality (it is only a 5" screen
afterall).

My next task is control.  As I need 6 buttons (plus power) to control the
media PC, I decided I didn't have enough pairs.  I don't want to use more
than one cable.  This leaves me the option of IR.  I have a single pair
left, which I plan tyo use to place an IR receiver inside the LCD case.
The
big question is which receiver?  I've found the IRman for $35, but ISTR
someone selling one for about £10-15.  Any clues?  I can't help thinking
I'll be building my own!

I also need to case the panel.  Any clues as to who will build a metal box
with a couple of well placed holes for the IR, LCD and power switch to poke
through?  HA porn to follow....

Andy
--
http://ha.andylaurence.co.uk